The vasectomy service fully complies with the Data Protection Act 1998. Under the Act patients have a right to be informed whether personal data about them is being processed and have the right to access the data. Patients can review the data processed and formal applications for access should be made in writing to Dr Boone, the data manager. A fee may be charged for this.
The Data Protection Act contains eight Data Protection Principles.
These state that all data must be:
- Processed fairly and lawfully
- Obtained & used only for specified and lawful purposes
- Adequate, relevant and not excessive
- Accurate and where, necessary, kept up to date
- Kept for no longer than necessary
- Processed in accordance with the individual's rights (as defined)
- Kept secure
- Transferred only to countries that offer adequate data protection
The Data Protection Act requires that appropriate security measures are in place to safeguard against unauthorised or unlawful access/processing of personal data.
Data Protection Act 1998 Chapter 29
A print version is also available and is published by The Stationery Office Limited as the Data Protection Act 1998 , ISBN 0 10 542998 8. Braille copies of this Act can also be purchased at the same price as the print edition by contacting TSO Customer Services on 0870 600 5522 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Further information about the publication of legislation can be found by referring to the Frequently Asked Questions on the HMSO website.